Sunday, June 10, 2012

Here we go

So here we are with summer in full swing :)

Mike had a goal this year of doing a half marathon every month. This month, he decided to go to Ridgecrest, North Carolina. Seeing as how this is part of my history growing up, I wanted to make it a family venture. Granted, it was a whirlwind trip, but we had fun and packed in a lot of memories in a short time.

We left Friday morning when I got home from work. I had endured a little dental work earlier in the week, so I took 1/2 of a pain pill and attempted to nap. I use that word lightly seeing as how I might have slept about an hour.....We stopped for lunch mid day and arrived at Ridgecrest around 3pm. Mike checked in to receive his race packet, while the boys and I walked around and stretched our legs.

Seeing as how it's been about 25 years since I been there, I didn't remember my way around much. And unfortunately, not long after we arrived, the rain came down (the same rain Mike had been driving in the last 6 hours). No biggie though. We all decided to chill in our room on campus for a little while

then head to Asheville for dinner. Mike's favorite place to eat before a race is Carrabba's Italian Restaurant. Granted, it's no where near a Weight Watchers menu, but it was okay nonetheless. After a short walk around the local mall, we headed back to sleep. And welcome, peaceful sleep it was. No TV. Nothing for the kids to fight over. We all slept so wonderfully that night.

The next morning came as a bit of a shocker. I was not prepared for the cold mountain morning. I'm not sure what the temperature was, but I know it was COLD!!! Luckily I had brought a blanket for myself to use in the car, and had packed 2 blankets for the kiddos to have (you know, things from home). We were up early because the race started at 6:01.....I'm glad we had them.

We made some new friends from Charlotte and took pictures along the beginning and finish line. Their names were Heidi and Neil.

It took Mike an hour and 54 minutes to complete the half this time. He said it was a tough course. I don't think I could ever do one again...

After he bathed and changed, we all headed to Asheville to get him some breakfast and some long sleeves for us to wear. I was freezing and I know the kids were cold as well. Luckily we found some shirts on the clearance aisle at Walmart. I never really intended for them to match, but that's what they had....

We headed in to Gatlinburg after that, ready for the day :)

There was so much to do and see and it was so busy!!!! It's been a really long time since I've been to Gatlinburg, 21 years to be exact, and it really hasn't changed that much. Still lots of candy shops, and places to buy just about whatever your heart desires. And restaurants that make you want to hurl after you eat because they're so full of fat. But you can't enjoy Gatlinburg unless you eat a little junk, right?

We checked in to the hotel about 3 hours after we arrived. I had made reservations at The Park Vista...the big one on the hill. And let me tell you, it was worth every penny.

The next morning was spent walking around town again. Alex and I stayed at the hotel to pack up, while Mike and Ryan walked in to town from a trail the led from the hotel to downtown. We road the sky lift where I was able to take some amazing pictures and enjoy the mountain air.

After that, we decided to go to the aquarium. Although I was a bit disappointed (Atlanta is still my favorite by far with Chattanooga a close second), the boys enjoyed it and we all had a good time.

By this time, we were all exhausted. A short lunch at Subway and we were on our way home. Like I said, it was a whirlwind, but we packed in some amazing times. Hope your summer is going well, too!!!

No comments: