Monday, January 4, 2010

cake

I DID IT!!

Although that is one of Alex's favorite sayings right now, it was mine for yesterday.

I worked Saturday night, so I slept until mid-afternoon Sunday (after staying up to get the boys dressed for church). Alex was still napping and Mike had taken Ryan to the gym. It was just the peacefulness of a quiet house until..... the voices in my head were saying,

"that cake is still sitting over there"

"don't you see me?"

"HELLO!!!!"

Granted, it was a couple of days old, seeing as how I had taken it to work on New Year's Eve. I did have a piece that night, but truly didn't indulge. It was too busy to really enjoy much of anything that night. Too many people wanting to have New Year's babies. Anyway--as I poured my wonderful cup of diet pepsi (which I am trying to decrease my intake) I eyed the cake pan. As I opened the lid and began to smell it I was in love. It was just an ordinary cake, just yellow cake with chocolate icing, but it's may favorite. I took a small sliver and inhaled it like no tomorrow. Then there was the second bite, which was just as delightful as the first. Who says you can't have cake for breakfast? The longer I stood there the more guilty I felt. I took one more small bite and then...


I THREW IT AWAY!!! I DID IT!!!

For those of you who know me--that was very difficult for me. I love my food, especially sweets. I almost cried when I dumped it in the trash. I almost had a Miranda moment from Sex and the City when she got the cake out of the trash. Well, maybe not that bad, but I was thinking it was over. Boo hoo hoo. But then the good voices in my head returned.

"Way to go Renee, you really did it!!"

I felt so much better no longer having the temptation to eat it. The next thing to go is my peppermint ice cream. Granted it's "only 1/2 the fat of regular ice cream" but it's still fattening in large amounts, which I prefer! Thank goodness it's only out once a year.

So now it's about mind over matter. I did skip the gym yesterday without much of a choice. Mike wasn't home and Alex was sleeping. NEVER wake a sleeping baby. That's okay, I ate light last night. I'm going to the gym tonight for 1 1/2 hours which will do me tremendous good. I love my Turbo Kick--it always kicks me good!!

I hope this in some way keeps me inspired to keep going. I have a long road ahead of me!!

Happy Monday

Renee

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I think that eating cake for breakfast is no worse than a doughnut, right!
Way to go on throwing it away!, when I worked at a dialysis unit a tech there would pour dish soap all over the treats, then throw them in the trash to avoid the Miranda moment LOL!

I agree, it is sabotage to have yummy treats at home when I am trying to be good. When they are there, I know they are there, calling me! The "easiest" thing is to eliminate the temptation (I can see some chocolate truffles from here.)

And way to go on the gym...half the battle is getting out and getting there. I am glad you like your turbo kick!